Originally posted 2018-04-02 12:18:47.
Remarkable Health Benefits of Popcorn
Popcorn is enjoyed and famous around the world. Popcorn is a healthy food until you pour on the butter, flavors, salt, and toppings. I could not believe all of the remarkable health benefits of popcorn as I love to consume them while watching TV or at the movies but I will add less butter from now on.
Popcorn is a type of corn that has a hard endosperm/hull/shell and contains a starchy inside. Popcorn is a whole grain and can be healthy as long as you do not drench it in loads of butter and hydrogenated oil. Try to eat 100-calorie packs of popcorn or make your own. You can find many types of popcorn that can be cooked many different ways. Think about the remarkable health benefits of popcorn below and share it with your friends.
Remarkable Health Benefits of Popcorn: Contains an impressive amount of magnesium, fiber, vitamin B complex, polyphenolic compounds, antioxidant, manganese. Popcorn also helps to regulate our blood sugar, prevent premature aging, lower our cholesterol levels, improve our digestive process, protect against osteoporosis, inhibit cognitive decline, prevent cancer and help you lose/manage weight.
- Popcorn Improves Digestion: Popcorn is a whole grain that contains endosperm, germ, and bran which is similar to whole grain rice, cereal, and bread. Popcorn also contains mineral, vitamin B complex, and vitamin E. The high fiber content in popcorn helps to keep your bowel movement moving smoothly and regular which helps to avoid constipation.
- Popcorn Controls Blood Sugar: A high amount of fiber in our body helps to regulate releasing and managing blood sugar and insulin levels in people better than having a low level of fiber. Popcorn is recommended for those who have diabetes, but please do consult with your doctor to know how much popcorn is safe for you to eat.
- Popcorn Prevents Cancer: Researchers discovered that the hull of popcorn contains a fantastic amount of antioxidants including polyphenolic compounds which is a dominant type of antioxidant. Antioxidant scavenge and eliminate free radicals that are cellular metabolism that is associated with a variety of diseases in our body, mainly cancer. Free radicals are known to mutate healthy cellular DNA into cancerous cells.
- Popcorn Prevents Aging: Free radicals are also linked to wrinkles, hair loss, cognitive decline, macular degeneration and blindness, muscle weakness, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and other things/illnesses as we get older. Popcorn can help us fight off or decrease some of these things that happen to us as we get older.
- Popcorn Helps Weight Loss: A cup of cooked popcorn contains about 30 calories which are about five times less than a cup of potato chips. Popcorn contains fibers that make you feel full and inhibits the release of ghrelin which is the hunger hormone and can help prevent people from overeating. Popcorn is extremely low in saturated fats and has natural oils that are primarily healthy and good for our body.
Microwave popcorn is considered unhealthy because the bags are often treated with/in Teflon which is known as fluorotelomer. Some of the chemicals used in coating may mix together and create perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), which might be carcinogenic. It is also believed that microwave bag popcorn is grown with a series of pesticides.
Make your own healthy popcorn at home by popping your popcorn on your stovetop by using virgin oil or virgin coconut oil and tossed popped popcorn with a small amount of butter. The remarkable health benefits of popcorn